Coach Development Conference
Chicago, May 19-20, 2018
Register for the NDCA Coach Development Conference in Chicago on May 19-20, 2018. This year's theme is "Examining Pedagogical Practices in Debate." The conference sessions are free to attend and are a great professional development opportunity for speech and debate coaches and teachers. Panels will be from 9am - 6pm on Saturday, 5/19/2018, and from 9:30am - 3pm on Sunday, 5/20/2018. Register here.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY: NDCA is partnering with the National Speech and Debate Association to issue a professional development certificate to those who attend the entire conference. Recipients of the NSDA Professional Development Certificate may present it to their administration or the state governing body for professional licensure and accreditation for proof of continuing education. Additionally, individuals who attend the conference meet one of the criteria towards the Coach Accreditation through the NSDA. For more information about the accreditation visit https://www.speechanddebate.org/professional-development/
Here is a preliminary list of the panels this year*:
- Argument-Centered Education Workshop
- Developing Alumni Relations
- Debating Across the Curriculum
- Future of Public Forum: A Conversation
- Topic Selection Best Practices: LD, PF, and Policy
- Recruiting, Training, and Retraining: Effective Coach Mentoring
- Promoting Local Policy Debate: Fostering community
- Tournament Best Practices: Addressing Sexual Assault
- Best Practices at Summer Debate Institutes: What are they?
- Ensuring Access to Speech and Debate for Students with Disabilities
- Writing Workshop: Writing Effective UC-Approval Applications for Speech and Debate Classes
*Sessions subject to change -- a complete schedule will be posted in May
Click on THIS LINK to access a Google Drive folder with the materials used at this year's conference.
The conference will be at the Marriott Suites Deerfield (2 Parkway North, Deerfield, IL 60015).
NDCA Block rate: $99 per room/per night (plus applicable taxes and fees)
Deadline to book NDCA Rate: 5/1/2018
Some important details:
- Block rate includes a hot buffet breakfast for 2 people each morning per room
- Completely renovated suite rooms
- Complimentary parking
- Approximately 30 mins. from O'Hare Airport right off the I-294
- Rate available on Friday night (5/18) and Saturday night (5/19)
- Book your group rate here for NDCA Conference